Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas 2012 at our place.

Well, it wasn't at our place really. We went to Ken's niece's home in Frankston again, and once we got there, we had a lovely day. But it took over two hours to get there from home, the traffic was absolutely chaotic. Funnily enough, it wasn't as bad coming home.
Our day had a sad start. MIL's condition has deteriorated rapidly in the past couple of weeks, to the point where she is now bed ridden and is refusing to eat. She will have a drink of water and a few sips of soup, but nothing else. She refused to take her medication for a few days, but the carers have managed to get that into her now. After SIL and I went to the Xmas party at the Home, when MIL was quite okay, she caught a cold within a day or so, and the chest infection has taken its toll as it does with very old people. She is very sleepy, and although she is aware of us being there, she doesn't respond to our conversations. So we take turns in sitting and holding her hand. Ken and I have visited her every day since Christmas Eve, and will continue to do so, as we know we won't have her much longer. It certainly doesn't look like she will make it to her 100th birthday in February, but it really doesn't matter; none of us want her to continue in this state just to please us by turning 100.
On a happier note, my gingerbread house was a big hit on Xmas Day. As I predicted, the kids picked the lollies off it once I told them they had free reign, and at the end of the day, we broke it up into walls for various family members to take home. I'd also taken my felt donuts and other cakes down there, and they looked so cute on the table! Everyone was taken in at first glance, but laughed when they realised the cakes were not real.
I received some lovely gifts as usual, including books, fat quarters, art supplies, coffee mugs, coasters and a tray all with roosters on!, and other goodies. All over for another year, thank goodness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

I am sorry to hear about your mother in law. I lost my mother in law about three years ago. She was my best friend.

Your Christmas was very nice. That was some Gingerbread house before demolition, lol!

Friday, 28 December, 2012  
Blogger FredaB said...

I am so sorry to read about Ken's Mom. Just think of the wonderful life she has lived. All the things she has seen happen in those almost 100 years. Hope she passes peacefully. I know it will be hard on Ken and yourself as you have both been wonderful with her.

Hugs

FredaB

ps - did the 4th egg ever hatch?

Monday, 31 December, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!